jack skellington.i hesitate (only briefly) to blog about such a character simply because he has become more of an icon or label these days than a personality worthy of report. the truth is, jack is a noble, humble, servant-hearted character that simply wants to bring joy to the masses. if you have never given The Nightmare Before Christmas a fair chance, i strongly encourage you to do so. it tells a brilliant story set in the world of holidays -- the concept is that each there are towns that share their holiday with the world one day out of the year -- easter has its own town, thanksgiving has its own town, etc. the characters living in each town exist only to bring that specific holiday into the world and to do it well. jack is the king of holloween. he lives in a town whose purpose in life is to bring a horrible thrill to the world one glorious night a year. they are creepy creatures, to be sure, but that is what makes them good at what they exist for. jack, however, feels there is something more to live for and, in discouragement, goes on a contemplative walk that leads him to christmas town where he discovers joy and color and things he's never known before. he decides this must be what's missing and, in a desperate attempt to fill this empty place in himself, he announces that he will take on christmas this year and give christmas town a break. things don't quite add up when creatures who only know about scaring and freaking people out try to bring joy and laughter. jack, who only wanted good things, gives the world the worst and most horrifying christmas they have ever seen. he is distraught with himself until he realizes that he is the best at what he was made for, doesn't need to try to be something he isn't, and discovers the only thing that could really fill that empty place -- love. *sigh* kinda makes you want to cry, doesn't it?
if you have braved this far into the blog, i commend you and urge you to give this amazing movie one more shot with the understanding of its purpose. if you don't feel like reading The Purpose Driven Life, you can watch The Nightmare Before Christmas instead...it's pretty much the same concept.
do it.
3 comments:
I'm about to lose a couple hundred points, but I admit I have never seen this movie. I'm sure I will before long though.
(you have points to spare)
Loisa, thank you for the insight about Nightmare and PDL. I have never made it through PDL, but I have watched and enjoyed NMBC.
Post a Comment