so my sister is very excited because there is a boy who is falling "head over heels" for her. perhaps it was poor timing -- i probably should have just been excited for her instead of analyzing the syntax of this statement -- but i immediately voiced my irritation with this phrase "head over heels." it simply doesn't make any sense. it never has. your head is always over your heels. that's really not much of a fall at all. it's a bend at most. it would be far more accurate to say you're falling "heels over head." now that's a visual i can connect with. that implies some sort of chaos that your adoration for the object of your affection has thrown you into. when i hear "head over heels" i see this guy in a grey business suit with slick-back hair and a clean-shaven face saying in a monotone, nasal voice, "i'm standing head over heels for you."
but really, bo, adam doesn't know better. so i'm excited for you anyway.
on a side note -- i have no patience for bands who have tracks of breathing in rhythm in their songs. that includes you, brandon boyd.
Thursday, December 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Why don't you tell me how you really feel...
"heels over head" seems to conjure up a different pattern of thinking in myself, one not neccissarily detatched from love but probably nothing you'd want to associate your sister with at this point in her relationship. Of course the significance differs if it's coming from a female vs. a male. But I don't want to get Freudian on yo ass.
or something.
Sorry, I don't mean to automatically go there, I just think people might get the wrong impression if you went around saying you're all "heels of head" for some guy.
How come I feel like the more I write, the deeper the hole I've dug for myself? I never win.
EDIT: editing previous posts is hard on blogger. I lose again.
*over
i reiterate that "head over heels" was Adam's wording. HE said it...i didn't. what the hell ever. the boy digs me.
and mattfasl is hilarious.
Post a Comment