Installment 3
Vincent Priceborn: May 27, 1911
deceased: October 25, 1993
cause of death: lung cancer
occupation: film, television, and narrative artist
little-known-fact: Price loved and adored dogs. He wrote a book titled "The Book of Joe" inspired by his own beloved dog. Between the more than 100 films he was involved in during his lifetime, Price became a phenomenal gourmet chef as well as an art historian.
From the first time I saw him in Edward Scissorhands as a young girl, I had a little bit of a soft spot in my heart for Vincent Price -- the odd, dark figure who landmarked the beginning of gothic and horror films. He first entered the film scene in 1938 and before his death, participated in 130+ films, television shows, and narrative spots. He is well-known for his roles in the original House of Wax in 1953 and House on Haunted Hill in 1958. I personally know and love him for his roles as Egghead in the original Batman television series, Alice Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare, the haunting story-teller in Michael Jackson's Thriller, the narrator from Tim Burton's animated short Vincent, and of course, most endearingly, for his role as the Inventor in Edward Scissorhands.
I have a fantastic grandfather -- a man of integrity, gentleness, and strength. If, however, I could have known Vincent Price, I would have loved to have curled up in his lap and had him read Edgar Allan Poe poetry to me before bed.
1 comment:
my favorite book as a child was my edgar allan poe storybook full of his short stories and poems and children's illustrations. why someone made such a book, i'm not sure, but i am grateful to them. my favorites were "Alone" and "Loss of Breath." i think the morbid temperament expectation was probably right on...
Post a Comment