Monday, May 26, 2008

certainty.

something to think about:

"faith is not born in the house of certainty."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely true, as my recent experiences will testify to.

Yet, as I think about it, faith might not come forth from certainty, but faith engenders certainty. Faith "moves in to the house" after it kicks out such things as ignorance and apathy and deceit. Check out 2 Peter 1:18-20:

"18We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain.

19And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation."

And then the end of Revelation 19:10-

"...For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

So the prophets prophesied (testifying to Jesus beforehand). As Jesus fulfilled those prophecies, Peter says our faith plus His evidence provides for our certainty. So I guess it all comes down to this: certainty never comes first, but as faith grows, certainty follows two steps behind.

Maybe. What do you think?

brad johnson said...

There is a world of certainty that the proud claim as their own. They staunchly proclaim their birthright, citizenship and ownership.

They shout the proofs from scripture--without seeing their own contrivances.

And the humble masses who have little but faith, child-like belief, desperate hope, even...well, they are foolish.

On the days I can't see HIM at all, can't hear Him, can't smell or touch Him....on those days when others are pounding their chests with dogmatic certainty about Him...am I foolish to believe something 'other' about Him...or is that faith?

Certainty? Even when their is nothing visible to offer as proof?

Faith and faithful and certainty. It's a lot to chew.

Simplifying me said...

Hey girl....where are you??? where have you been? how are you?? hope you are doing well.

Anonymous said...

I am certain that as of tomorrow it will have been one month since your last blog.

stearnzie said...

the shack?

Julie Hibbard said...

Hello!??? What happened to you? I miss you!