i know. it's been a while. i could give you the list of excuses. i've been out of town a lot. the "h" and "y" keys on my keyboard have been broken. i've been extremely busy. it goes on. but instead, i'll give you the list of things i've been thinking about this last month.
1) what am i aiming at?
this last year has been a fun one. lots of travel. lots of free time. lots of time to think. i've been rested, i think, this last year. but now it's hitting me that i'm not headed toward anything. and if you know me, my family, and my history, you might know how terrifying that realization is for me.
2) what do i long for?
a good thing to aim at is a desire of your heart, i think. so in all this "aiming" conversation with myself, the question has arisen: what is the desire of my heart? i try to create noble desires in my heart. independent desires. desires that might make me look a little more special or wise. you know the ones: i desire to serve people in third world countries. or: i desire to write a book about the journey of my faith. or: i desire to change people through music by singing the truth of grace. meh. the truth is, i want to be a mom. and i want to be a wife. and not just any mom and not just any wife. the really good kind. and i find my lemming self walking into this same wall again. so i use a little psychology trick. what is it about the "family" that i desire? belonging? no. i feel a part of things. feeling loved? no. i am overwhelmingly loved by key incredible people around me. feeling useful? no. there are endless opportunities to serve around me everyday. it's none of the usual. none of the noble or selfless reasons. not even the immature, juvenile reasons. i think it's simply that i long for stability. maybe a little control. i want to feel like i know where i'm going to be tomorrow and who i'm going to be there with. and i want to feel like the decisions in front of me are mine to make. like my situation is in my hands, not just happening around me. stability.
3) how did i get here?
i hate making decisions. it terrifies me. the wrong ones could turn me into a walking void, pointless on the face of the earth, useless to everyone it encounters. the right ones lead me...well...where do the right ones lead me? but justin says the Lord does not design treasure maps. it's not hit or miss. it's surrender. surrendered decisions. surrendered choices. but you still have to decide and you still have to choose. damn. i've always loved it when i can just float along. order my meals for me...pick out my clothes...it makes life a little interesting and certainly less threatening. but do i really love having my decisions made for me? i've never tried the other to know.
4) how do i get away from here?
i want to try it. yes. i've decided i do. i want to try to be dependently independent. i want to attempt using these two feet. i don't want to hide behind a talent. i don't want to skirt myself behind a false ambition. music is my love? no. i've learned that now. worship is my love. music is incidental. so suddenly the pursuit of an incidental seems false and empty. i want to pursue real life in the thick of things with people i have chosen to fight through life with. i want to choose how my days are spent. i want to choose where i lay my head and what my heart hurts for. i want to choose not to be afraid. not to succumb to the panic that lingers under my ribs. i want to choose and i want to surrender.
i'm twenty-six years old today. i round up now. closer to thirty than to twenty. i'm relieved, a little. i don't like birthdays. don't like reminders of all that remains unaccomplished in my life. but there's something heavy and hopeful about a birthday that makes a person want to change...even if it is by the slightest degree. or maybe it's not so slight. maybe i'm ready to make some decisions...some big decisions... and earn this twenty-sixth year.
Merry Christmas 2018
7 years ago
5 comments:
Happy Birthday Idget!
So I've read your post several times now, and I've wanted to comment...but...there's just too much in this one post! I could tell you how I was feeling much of the same things at 26, and I mean MUCH. I could also tell you about how I ended up finding the love of my life, getting married, adopting a kid and starting an orphan project in a 3rd world country all during my 27th-28th year on this earth. Wait, I just did. But I still keep making big decisions, and end up questioning them daily.
I still wonder what I should REALLY be doing with my life. And most days I wonder if it's my heart that I'm listening to, or my fear, or a shaken mixture of both in a cocktail glass called mental disorder. Here's a little fortune cookie wisdom for you: The most important thing is too keep asking the questions. Continue the pursuit. Push on towards the answers. (Insert other nauseating cliche's here.) There are times when I think that free will is a really crappy gift that I'd like to return. But I believe in the end it'll be one of the things I will thank God for the most.
Eternal perspective, yah, that's always a tough one. I think Socrates had the idea when he said, "I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance." Of course, he also said that the unexamined life is not worth living. To make a long story longer, I feel like I'm gaining a little, tiny bit more of that perspective as I get older. Either that, or I'm totally full of crap. Either is quite possible.
Heyyyy, sooooo glad to see you back on. I'm jealous you have been able to travel, rest and reflect.
Stability is what you make it....go to the bathroom every morning and flush....there you have stability. You know what you are doing the next day and so on and so on.
No really..... people who want to change the world never stop wanting to change the world. BUT change the world. Put dreams into motion, have kids, solve world hunger... you get the point.
I'm still rounding down to forty but in no time I'll be rounding up to 50. YIKES....
Hi- You don't know me at all but there is a link: my husband, David Loucks, knows Justin (and you may know him too). He sang for him at Saddleback and the next church he was at (sorry I don't remember the name). I happened upon your blog through John Stearns blog. Wow- how is that 6 degrees of separation for you!
Anyway...I really like your post. It was my birthday recently too and it's always a great time to reflect on where I've been and where I'm going.
I love that you are looking to seek the desires of your heart. Psalm 37;4 has been my theme verse the last few years.
Well- I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your quest! Many Blessings!
Trina! I know exactly who you are! :) I'm very familiar with your husband's talent and anointing. Thank you so much for making contact!
Post a Comment